Thursday 18 April 2013

A Steampunk Inspiration and MMM Plans

I'm going into town today to get some white interfacing to help me turn some of my recent fabric acquisitions into simple tops. I'm going to try out some versions of Newlook 6705 because they're nice and simple and having a few tops like that will be good for Me-Made-May.


I'll give you an update on that later but for now lets get our inspiration up in here!

I've been on a bit of a steampunk kick as of late, and it feels like I'm not the only one. Results for steampunk in searches seem to be going up exponentially, but some of that is because you can try to sell almost anything as steampunk if you stick a couple of cogs on it. Just go look at Regretsy if you don't believe me.

That being said, some of this stuff is pretty damn cool. Take this "harness", for example. It's mostly decorative and the back is just a strip of elastic so that it fit's more people better but it looks good for adding a little interesting detail to an outfit without going overboard (which is easy with this style).

The keys are a bit much for me but I really like the chains and cogs.


There are some parts of the dress below that I'm not a fan of, most notably the mustard colour and the lace along the top, but I really like the corset. The panels at the front and sides are made from fabulous fabric with words and images printed on it that I really want some of, but the black pieces stop it from overpowering the piece.


There's something a little bit different about this one. That's right, it's for a man! There is a reason for that. I've recently snagged myself a boyfriend who likes getting dressed up almost as much as me. You might start to see one or two items made for him but I'm going to be a bit selfish for a while, at least till the end of May.

There doesn't seem to be as many good steampunk clothes for men, but that goes for most styles. This kind of waistcoat over shirt outfit seems to be the most popular and it's one that my boyfriend rocked on our third date.

This isn't the best example of it, it's pretty simple and basic, but the bleaching(?) design on the shirt is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment