Wednesday 3 July 2013

Muff Love

(source)
I'm pretty sure everyone's worked out by now that I'm a bit of a slow sewer. I also have an odd, sometimes old fashioned and sometimes out there style. Those two facts combined mean that a fur muff is the perfect project for me.

Muffs are basically just a cylinder of fabric or fur, sometimes hung on a chain or string around the neck, that keeps your hands nice and toasty warm in the winter. I think they look quite gorgeous and fun, plus a lot more practical than gloves in some ways.

They were popular from the 16th century right through to the 20th, but for some of that only for women, and I think they deserve a revival for more than just little girls and wedding ensembles.

Hand warmers might be a weird thing to be thinking about at the beginning of July, but if I stick to my sewing schedule then it's just the right time for it.

Now for some gratuitous photos!


(brown muff on sewing dummy) (black and white muff illustration) (black cape and muff) (white rabbit fur muff) (glam beaded muff)

No comments:

Post a Comment